In one of the biggest gathering of social workers in the Philippines advocating for kids safety, Child Protection Network’s 2nd Manila Conference ‘Ako Para Sa Bata’, I was asked to give a talk about cyber wellness and give practical advice on digital parenting. With more and more kids having access to internet, and pending laws that can safeguard kids and internet users in general, education is our best defense. This video explains why we need to include cyber safety in child protection advocacy:
Since we launched the advocacy on June 2010, we are happy that the need for cyber safety has gained recognition from different sectors.
- The Philippine National Police has launched “Project Angel Net“
- GMA 7 launched “Think Before You Click“
- Manila Local Government launched a cyber safety forum at District 1
- Councilor Alfred Vargas of QC government is collaborating with us for a proactive and relevant local ordinance for internet cafe
- The Provincial Government of Pangasinan held an ICT Congress where cyber wellness is one of it’s feature talks
- More upscale schools have invited us to share our advocacy for kids.
- More TV and Radio programs have invited us to discuss cyber wellness
- Yahoo! partnered w/ us for yahoo safely and purple hunt family edition.
Our hope for 2012 is for Schools, the Dept. of Education, Parents and LGUs totake proactive steps to address cyber bullying.
Here are a few of the pics during the conference: